Complimentary Webinar: The Civil and Canonical Implications for Religious Institutes of “You Are the Light of the World,” The Motu Proprio of Pope Francis on Sexual Abuse
On Thursday, December 12, 2019, Kopon Airdo, LLC and the Resource Center for Religious Institutes will present a complementary webinar: The Civil and Canonical Implications for Religious Institutes of “You Are the Light of the World,” The Motu Proprio of Pope Francis on Sexual Abuse.
Pope Francis issued a motu proprio, Vos estis lux mundi, “You are the Light of the World,” in May of 2019, following the meeting for the Protection of Minors convoked by the Pope earlier this year in which Francis called for “universal and concrete measures” to combat sexual abuse in the Church. Some of the more significant features of the motu proprio for religious institutes include:
- requiring all clerics and religious men and women to report abuse
- ensuring that religious superiors are held accountable for their actions
- establishing new procedures for reporting sexual abuse in the Church to include use of violence or intimidation to engage in sexual acts
- broadening of the definition of “vulnerable adult”
- describing a new role for the Metropolitan Archbishop in the preliminary investigation of allegations against the supreme moderators of religious institutes with the assistance of lay experts
This free webinar will assist religious leaders and those who work with them in addressing Vos estis. The speakers will discuss the motu proprio’s civil and canonical implications for religious men and women. The panel will also provide the latest insight and best practices for complying with the new directives.
To register for this webinar, please visit: